Office of the Provost - Hiring Process Using External Funds
Once the Principal Investigator has a grant number assigned to his/her grant account, he/she may do the following in order to hire an individual:
- Advertise for the position – Using departmental funds, deans can advertise vacancies in national disciplinary journals and higher education journals such as the Chronicle of Higher Education and Diversity in Higher Education. Deans may also email their advertisement to the Executive Assistant to the Provost who will post the ad on the Hampton University website.
- Interview – Once a candidate has been determined, the individual is brought to the campus to be interviewed.
- Request for Contract – If the interview
is successful, the Principal Investigator can submit an Authorization
to Hire Internal/External Personnel Under Funded Projects/Grants form
with the documents named below attached. If the individual is not a citizen
of the United States, the Citizenship
Verification Form must be completed before the hiring process can begin.
- State and federal tax withholding forms
- I-9 form
- Pages 19 and 20 of the Intellectual Property Rights document as well as the acknowledgement page
- Letters of Reference (three originals submitted on business letterhead)
- Official Transcript of highest degree (A copy is accepted until the official transcript is received.)
- Hampton University Application for Employment
- Documentation of Faculty Qualifications form
- Approval memo from the Office of Human Resources regarding the background check/drug-pre screening (The individual must visit the Office of Human Resources regarding the pre-employment drug screening and background check.)
- Citizenship Verification Form (If the individual is not a citizen of the United States, follow the instructions on the Citizenship Verification Form.)
- New Faculty Information Sheet
NOTE REGARDING I-9 FORM: Review the instructions provided for filling out the I-9 form. All sections of the I-9 form must be completed by the third day of employment. After viewing the original identification provided by the new hire, attach a copy to the form. New hires who do not have the required documents with them should be sent home to get the documents and should not be allowed to work until satisfactory documents are produced and the I-9 form is complete.
NOTE: Individuals hired on external funds usually include researchers and individuals employed in the TRIO Programs. If the individual's primary responsibility is teaching, refer to the list of items indicated on the instructions for the "Hiring Process for Faculty" and attach those documents to your Hire Internal/External Personnel Under Funded Projects/Grants form.