The successful candidate will facilitate the mission of the Hampton University Museum by providing administrative, purchasing, and technical support to the Director of the Museum, Curators, Editor of the International Review of African American Art, and other Museum and University Archives staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will
- Work cooperatively with others and accepts direction from supervisors;
- Provide administrative support for the Director of the Museum;
- Provide administrative support to the Museum staff;
- Maintain Hampton University Museum main office files;
- Answer main office telephone;
- Provide outstanding customer relations for all visitors to the Museum including a welcome and brief overview of the Museum facilities and rule;
- Manage the Museum shop including purchasing items to sell and providing customer care. Duties include: record daily purchases, tallies and make weekly deposit; complete monthly accounting for Museum shop; report sales;
- Prepare and/or process routing correspondence, letters, memoranda, forms, reports and other documents via computer and/or typewriter. Process all incoming mail, which includes retrieving and distributing;
- Maintain a clean and orderly appearance in the front office and Museum shop;
- Complete other duties as assigned.
High school diploma required. Associate/business school degree preferred.
Excellent verbal communication skills necessary. Must be detailed oriented, able to work in a fast paced environment, and manage multi-tasks simultaneously. Excellent organizational, technological, and accounting skills required. Must be able to prioritize jobs and work with little supervision. Must be able to be flexible with work schedule (some evenings and weekends required). Must be able to open and close museum using a security code.
- Must be able to operate a variety of automated office machines which include an automated cash register (Counterpoint)
- Must be able to lift or move up to twenty pounds, climb stairs, travel across campus
Three - five years previous secretarial experience preferred. Retail experience desired. Previous experience working in higher education desired.
Familiarity with the Museum field a plus. Advanced computer skills required, utilizing the following programs: Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and Web applications. Knowledge of Hampton University policies and procedures helpful.
How to Apply
Please send in one completed packet your cover letter, resume, and Educational Support Staff Application to the:
Office of Human Resources
Hampton, VA 23668
**No phone calls