The Annual Fund Director will manage and oversee all aspects of the annual giving program for Hampton University including a personal solicitation campaign, direct mail and telemarketing appeals, and strategic identification, qualification, and cultivation activities for prospects to increase the University's donor base that provides funding to the University and to meet the annual fundraising goals. The Director will also work in partnership with development officers, Alumni Affairs staff, and volunteers to reach a larger pool of prospects and to support targeted solicitation goals, as well as, manage all aspects of the annual campaign.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for overseeing all functions of donor database management. Oversee/ implement “contact detail” input. Assure that an accurate donor database is kept.
- Oversee timely donor acknowledgements, including thank you letters.
- Cultivate and solicit major gift donors for annual campaign.
- Implement on-going personal/written/phone contact with major donors/potential donors.
- Staff lead/Manager of special events.
- Oversee record keeping/files/correspondence for all major annual donors.
- Implement an annual recognition event for annual campaign donors/volunteers, incorporating appropriate staff.
- Manage system for securing in-kind donations.
- Assure maintenance of a central file of donor records of correspondence (hard copy).
- Develop and execute five-year annual campaign development plan.
- Attend weekly development planning meetings and monthly development department meetings.
- Prepare and publish Annual Giving Report in collaboration with the Office of Development.
- Prepare/and or oversee the preparation and publishing of all solicitation mailings including but not limited to: annual campaign solicitation letters and newsletters in collaboration with the Development Department.
- Act as liaison with groups who raise annual campaign funds, staying abreast of activities.
- Act as a spokesperson at public speaking events to include check presentations, outside events, informational talks etc.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization as needed to bring in funding, volunteers, etc.
- Provide organization, production and maintenance of annual campaign materials and data, coordination of all special event committees and volunteers.
- Consult with the VP/Associate VP of Development to strategize annual campaign fundraising efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Minimum three years development experience, including annual campaigns.
- Knowledge of fund development principles and public relations.
- Strong organizational, administrative, telephone and interpersonal communication skills, detail and “big picture” oriented.
- Strong word processing, desktop publishing, and spreadsheet experience.
- Skilled in preparing written reports and presentations.
- Solid writing, editing and presentation ability.
- Professional demeanor, flexible and able to respond to multiple demands.
- Able and willing to take responsibility.
- Fundraising experience or education preferred.
- Must be flexible regarding work schedule.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a completed Application for Educational Support Staff Employment either in person, via email at HROffice@hamptonu.edu, or fax to (757) 727-5969:
Office of Human Resources
Hampton, VA 23668
**No phone calls
**Incomplete applications will not be considered