The Night Desk Monitor is a temporary position that serves as an evening monitor of the lobby, office and general facilities in residence halls where the office or reception desk remains open on a twenty-four (24) hour basis. The shift usually runs from midnight to 8:00 a.m. This is not a live-in, residential position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Answer the office telephone, take messages, transfer calls, and insure that the office phone is only used for official business.
- Greet visitors and check ID cards of all persons seeking entrance to the building to determine if they are residents.
- Monitor and maintain proper lobby decorum and noise levels.
- Issue spare room key to residents (only) that have been locked out.
- Conduct "rounds" of the facility to check exit doors, general condition of lighting, fixtures, vending equipment, safety equipment, noise levels and other conditions within the residence hall.
- Maintain the desk log with updates, messages, problems encountered, unusual events or person(s) observed in the area, unlocked doors, names and circumstances of any incidents or accidents, emergencies, or maintenance concerns that need to be addressed by the Director the next day. (Directors will also indicate other matters to be entered in the log.)
- Receive written complaints about money lost in vending equipment or equipment that is broken - kept in a separate vending log.
- Respond to emergency situations or refer major problems to the Director or staff member who is on duty or on call in the building.
- Contact University Police immediately or as directed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director and/or the Dean.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a completed Application for Educational Support Staff Employment either in person, via email at HROffice@hamptonu.edu, or fax to (757) 727-5969:
Office of Human Resources
Hampton, VA 23668
**No phone calls
**Incomplete applications will not be considered