The Hampton U Online Director of Distance Education works with the Dean of the College of Education and Continuing Studies to manage all processes related to development, implementation, tracking, and evaluation of distance education courses. The successful candidate will be able to (a) monitor and resolve pedagogical issues; (b) support administration, faculty, staff and students in overall processes that lead to stated academic outcomes; and (c) provide input and support related to marketing and promotion efforts for courses and programs. The Director must have a record of accomplishments in higher education and be able to work with deans, chairs, and other directors to discuss expanded improvements to meet strategic goals related to distance education.
The Director will be responsible for guiding Hampton U Online’s growth, developing new online degree /certificate programs, and providing industry training for the workforce. The Director is expected to obtain knowledge of the latest technologies and best practices for online instruction and enhance course delivery systems through appropriate integration.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees online, hybrid, and web enhanced course development.
- Evaluates online course development and instruction.
- Maintains agreements and provides oversight over all providers/vendors.
- Coordinates with deans and chairs to develop semester course schedules for Hampton U Online.
- Assists in marketing efforts for Hampton U Online.
- Recruits distance education faculty for upcoming sessions.
- Manages the evaluation process of Distance Learning support services and operations.
- Designs, develops, and delivers workshops and online training to faculty through the use of instructional technologies, educational best practices, instructional resources, and multimedia hardware/software to support instruction.
- Develops and manages the annual distance learning budget.
- Supervises Hampton U Online staff and manages operation.
A Master’s Degree is required. Preference will be given to candidates who hold a doctoral degree combined with two years of experience working with a distance learning program.
How to Apply
A letter of application, a resume, and three (3) letters of recommendation should be sent to:Dr. Cassandra P. Herring Dean, College of Education and Continuing StudiesHampton UniversityP.O. Box 6122Hampton, VA 23668