The Hampton University Skin of Color Research Institute at Hampton University (HUSCRI) is seeking highly-qualified candidates for a full-time Postdoctoral Fellow position in the Laboratory. Founded in 1868, Hampton University is a leading historically Back university (HBCU) located on the Tidewater Peninsula in Hampton, Virginia. It is a privately endowed, co-educational, nonsectarian institution.
The primary goals of HUSCRI are: to identify and understand the factors that contribute to racial disparities in skin disorders, to generate knowledge on the treatment and prevention of skin diseases unique to individuals with skin of color, and to foster an environment which encourages relevant innovative basic science research. HUSCRI is located within a beautiful 20,000 square foot building on the Hampton University campus.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will assist the Principal Investigator in an NIH-funded research project and the ability to independently monitor research is vital. The candidate will be conducting and evaluating research in the field of cancer biology.
Responsibility is functional in nature, and tasks are expected to be performed under limited supervision. Specific duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Designing and executing cellular and molecular laboratory experiments.
- Collecting and analyzing test results.
- Preparing laboratory reports and manuscripts for publication.
- Assisting the supervisor with training new lab members and aiding them as needed.
Education and Experience
A PhD degree in basic Biomedical Sciences is required.
- Two years of biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology or related experience and/or training including academic experience.
- Applicants who possess an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Highly motivated candidates should demonostrate a solid understanding of breast biology with experience in conducting studies that involve breast tissue. The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Advanced knowledge of tissue culture and procedures of cell and molecular biology techniques.
- Experience with animal research involving rodents.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret scientific and technical procedures and journals.
- Ability to write reports, manuscripts, and proposals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of scientists, faculty, students, administrators and the general public.
How to Apply
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit the following documentation: 1) A brief cover letter describing research experience, 2) Hampton University Faculty Employment Application, 3)Curriculum Vitae, 4) List of Publications, and 5) three letters of recommendation on official letterhead. The employment packet should be sent to the following email address:Meena Katdare, PhDProfessor and Research Core DirectorSkin of Color Research InstituteEmail: HUSCRI@hamptonu.edu*Hampton University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer