Hampton University invites nominations and applications for the 12-month position of Director at the Langley Air Force Branch. The Langley Air Force Base Branch is a satellite location that was established in 1948 to satisfy the educational needs of the military personnel and their dependents who are assigned at Langley Air Force Base, as well as in the surrounding Hampton Roads communities. The Director of the Langley Branch is responsible for coordinating comprehensive support services and mentoring military/veteran students, while also overseeing the daily operations of the Hampton University site in the Education Center at Langley Air Force Base. The Director reports to the Dean of the University College.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be expected to perform the following tasks independently with high proficiency:
- To assist military/veteran students in making the transition from the demands of the military to the expectations of Hampton University.
- To recruit students at education/career fairs.
- To conduct information sessions and orientation meetings.
- To plan and implement education programs and support services that enhance the academic success of military/veteran students with an emphasis on activities related to retention.
- To develop collaborative partnerships with faculty, campus departments and external organizations in support of military/veteran students and serve as a liaison with the Office of Disability Services.
- To oversee the maintenance of the military student website and Facebook page.
- To participate with the Military Education Task Force in addressing the needs of military/veteran students.
- To serve as a resource person by referring military/veteran students to other offices and campus support services as needed.
- To develop face-to-face relationships with military education specialists, veteran’s organizations, and business professionals in the Hampton Roads area.
- Teach one section of UNIV 101 (freshman seminar) for military/veteran students who are full-time freshman.
- To independently manage the daily operations of the satellite campus (i.e. recruitment, registration, advising students, evaluating student’s transcripts, scheduling classes, ordering textbooks, and identification of qualified faculty).
- To serve as a liaison for logistical operations between the Langley site and the main campus.
- Supervise permanent administrative personnel, work-study students and adjunct faculty.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- A minimum of a Master's Degree is required.
- Military service member or relative of military service member.
- A background check will be required for the successful applicant.
- Preference will be given to applicants with an extensive background of all branches in the Armed Forces.
- Experience working in an educational and/or university setting with a diverse student population is preferred.
- Ability to interact in an effective and appropriate manner with diverse populations, the University community and the public.
- Ability to provide evidence of leadership in planning, design and delivery of programs and services.
- Ability to plan, implement and evaluate retention programs for military/veteran students.
- Ability to access the needs of military/veteran students, prioritize those needs, and respond expeditiously.
- Ability to collaborate with other University departments and serve on committees as appropriate.
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Ability to efficiently operate a personal computer and associated software (Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.).
- Ability to use specialized computer information systems (i.e., SungardHE Banner, Tracdat, and military related portals).
- Ability to analyze data and prepare reports.
How to Apply
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The compensation package will be commensurate with experience. Interested candidates should submit their curriculum vitae, personal contact information, and three letters of recommendation along with postal/email addresses and telephone numbers electronically to email@example.com or mail to:Dr. Almarie MunleyDean, University CollegeHampton UniversityP.O. Box 6162Hampton, VA 23668
**Hampton University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.