The Database Administrator (DBA) will report to the Director of the Computer Information Center. The Computer Information Center's primary responsibility is to plan, design, install and maintain integrated data processing systems. The DBA manages day to day operations, to include supporting multiple oracle database servers, oracle application servers, forms and report servers, ERP System (Ellucian's Banner and Self-Service Application); support and maintain third party applications integrated with ERP system. Will also evaluate new database features and tools from database vendors and make recommendations to management and maintain currency with the up-to-date database tools and technologies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Acts independently with limited instruction providing management and administration of the corporate database resources utilizing a full understanding of area of specialization; resolves a wide range of complex, less clearly-defined issues. Functions as a seasoned technical contributor working with a group of engineers, analysts, and technicians. This includes database maintenance, performance tuning, data loads, database design, and database development, to include programming operations, security and compliance assessment, upgrade and patch management, backup, recovery, tuning, cloning, and DDL/DML/DCL database operations. Additional responsibilities include maintenance and performance tuning of oracle application server to include support of oracle forms, oracle reports and web applications. This position is considered essential to operations and may be required to be available during any emergency. Additionally, the incumbent will be required to maintain an on-call status.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training.
Ellucian Banner ERP Higher Education Software and Services
Oracle Certified Associate
Oracle Certified Professional
- Full understanding of backup, archive and recovery options, and security models for supported database environments to implement backup strategies for systems. Full understanding of database performance metrics, connectivity and configuration options.
- Strong working knowledge of database server installations, configurations and cloning techniques.
- Experience in implementing physical database and security changes and connectivity standards. Perform impact analysis on potential changes. Configures all security options within the database server. Perform periodic security audits against database environments.
- Ability to monitor databases for performance issues. Utilize database performance metrics to tune the database server, database queries, stored procedures and functions.
- Manage oracle application server supporting forms, reports and web applications providing expertise in the areas of application server installation, upgrades, patches, tuning, performance monitoring, troubleshooting, application deployments, support and general administration of multiple supported environments.
- Full working knowledge of Oracle, SQL, PL/SQL, Solaris, UNIX, COBOL, C++, shell scripting, java technologies. Ability to use complex software to conduct data analysis, reporting and sharing of information to solve problems. Experience using X Servers and/or VNC.
- Demonstrable knowledge of HTTP, HTTPS, SSL, and developer tools such as Oracle Developer Suite, TOAD, SQL Developer, Forms & Reports 11g, SQL*Plus, Pro*C and Pro*COBOL Precompilers, SSH, SFTP, Putty, XMING.
- Ability to continually improve efforts in enhancing performance and providing increased functionality, including performing proactive maintenance such as ensuring continued space availability, monitoring activity, and documenting problems, changes, and solutions. Review and maintain existing change management standards, policies and procedures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- At least 6 years of related database analysis and/or administration experience and the ability to provide strong technical support to programmer analysts and systems team.
- At least 2 years of experience in Weblogic administration, Oracle Weblogic Oracle Application Server and Fusion Middleware components.
How to Apply
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a completed Application for Educational Support Staff Employment to the:
Office of Human Resources
Hampton, VA 23668
**No phone calls