The Library Systems Engineer is a part-time position (20 hours per week) that serves the technology needs of the William R. & Norma B. Harvey Library by providing support for the implementation and use of hardware and software in an academic library environment. The effective use of technology is essential to support teaching and learning and to support the delivery of information, resources, and services to the students, faculty, and staff of Hampton University.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Administer library network including web server, active directory, and group policy objects. Perform duties for system user management including creating, deleting, and updating users on the system.
- Serve as the administrator of the library’s SIRSI network management system by performing installations, upgrades, and backups for the SIRSI system. Serve as the contact with the SIRSI Helpdesk to resolve issues with the systems operation.
- Provide training and instruction to library staff on the use of the various SIRSI modules.
- Produce HTML code and scripts to update the design of the online catalog interface, online tutorials, library webpage, and other web based applications.
- Plan, design, and implement online and web-based applications and systems, including instructional and educational software, for the support and delivery of information services.
- Assist with the technical design and implementation of online tutorials.
- Provide technical expertise and support for revising the library’s web pages.
- Perform duties for the maintenance of the library’s ILLIAD server, Ariel software system, and EZ Proxy server.
- Coordinate technology projects with related campus departments for implementation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Two years of coursework in technology field required. Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer software, or computer engineering field preferred. Must be able to be on call some evenings and weekends for emergencies. Oral and written communication skills required. Ability to apply instructional technology in library environments required. Experience working in a Microsoft networked environment preferred. Some knowledge of HTML preferred.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a completed Application for Educational Support Staff Employment to the:
Office of Human Resources
Hampton, VA 23668
**No phone calls