The William R. & Norma B. Harvey Library is seeking a Library Clerk to assist with the implementation and delivery of efficient and effective work flow procedures for the cataloging department by processing materials, performing database maintenance activities for the online catalog, and resolving problems for internal customers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform copy cataloging for materials in a variety of formats by conducting searches in OCLC for matching bibliographic records and importing records into the online catalog.
- Verify call numbers and subject headings using appropriate tools. Print and apply spine labels as appropriate.
- Perform database maintenance activities by implementing corrective actions, such as withdrawing items, transferring items, editing records, etc.
- Maintain awareness of new cataloging developments, trends, and best practices by participating in on-going training activities.
- Maintain statistical data on cataloging activities.
- Assist with expediting cataloging work flow and assist with resolving problems.
- Assist with team projects such as shelf reading and shifting as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
One year of college coursework required. Associate’s degree preferred. Knowledge of computer applications required. Knowledge of specialized library software, including OCLC and library database management systems, preferred. Minimum one year previous experience working in a library environment preferred. Strong oral and written communication skills required. Ability to pay attention to details required. High level of accuracy required. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships required.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a completed Application for Educational Support Staff Employment to the:
Office of Human Resources
Hampton, VA 23668
**No phone calls