The secretary for the Hampton University School of Nursing (HUSON) will provide secretarial and administrative support to the School of Nursing and assist with other academic administration across the University as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide secretarial support for all aspects of the Hampton University School of Nursing (HUSON).
- Prepare and type letters, emails, reports, presentations, meeting agendas, and minutes, budget and prepare requisitions, and assist with preparation of annual budget.
- Oversee financial accounts.
- Maintain records and undertake filing.
- Attend academic meetings and take minutes. Prepare minutes and distribute after meetings.
- Assist in the identification and implementation of improved financial processes for the HUSON, improved financial reporting, and ensure effectiveness of financial control systems, including compliance with Hampton University guidelines.
- Assist with maintenance of the HUSON budget.
- Establish a positive relationship with the HU Business Office to improve accounting practices and throughput.
- Assist the Secretary to the Dean with project work and support her in undertaking tasks for the dean and school.
- Any other related duties as directed by the Senior Administrative Office of the Dean of the School of Nursing.
A high school diploma or GED is required. College degree is preferred. Applicants should be proficient using office equipment, including computers, printers, copiers, scanners, shredders, and typewriters. The candidate must be proficient with Microsoft Office software and be comfortable with email. Prior familiarity with the University’s Banner system would be helpful. Finance qualification or other relevant professional qualification and experience in working in financial management at an appropriate level.
- Secretarial/administrative training or qualifications required
- Experience within the same or similar sector (charity, higher education)
- Experience in accounting, preparation of management accounts and reporting
- Professional, confident approach to work and focused on providing a proactive, quality service
- Excellent communication skills and customer service skills
- Ability to communicate financial information to non-finance staff and senior managers
- Organized, accurate, thorough and deadline focused
- Ability to work as part of a team, yet can work on own initiative
- Ability to manage competing priorities and deal with a varied workload, and work accurately under pressure and within prescribed deadlines
- Skilled in use of Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Database experience
- Experience with Course Management systems (i.e. Blackboard, Moodle, Angle, e-College, ect.)
- Ability to work in detail coupled with the ability to see the wider picture
- Knowledge and understanding of IT systems
- Some level of knowledge of financial application software
- Ability to type 45 wpm
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a completed Application for Educational Support Staff Employment to the:
Office of Human Resources
Hampton, VA 23668
**No phone calls