The Hampton University Skin of Color Research Institute invites applications for a full-time Research Associate position to work under the supervision of Dr. Meena Katdare. This position will require experimental research in a basic science laboratory setting. The position requires performance of experiments, organization and analysis of data, and presentation of results.
Founded in 1868, Hampton University is a leading historically Back university (HBCU) located on the Tidewater Peninsula in Hampton, Virginia. It is a privately endowed, co-educational, nonsectarian institution. The primary goals of HUSCRI are: to identify and understand the factors that contribute to racial disparities in skin disorders, to generate knowledge on the treatment and prevention of skin diseases unique to individuals with skin of color, and to foster an environment which encourages relevant innovative basic science research. HUSCRI is located within a beautiful 20,000 square foot building on the Hampton University campus.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibility is functional in nature, and needs to be performed under limited supervision. Specific tasks may include, but not limited to:
- Assisting and executing cellular and molecular laboratory experiments.
- Operating typical cell and molecular biology equipment, specifically Western blot, PCR, Fluorescence microscope, and other laboratory equipment.
- Presenting data in lab meetings as needed.
- Operating, maintaining, and calibrating all biomedical research laboratory equipments in a safe and effective manner.
- Assisting with ordering supplies and maintaining supply inventory.
- Keeping records for chemical and biological safety compliance.
- Performing other job duties as needed.
- Must be able to follow instructions and procedures pertaining to the task at hand.
- Master’s plus 3 years of related experience OR Bachelor’s degree plus 5 years of related post-degree work experience. The degree must be in molecular, cellular and development biology, or related science field.
- Biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology or related experience preferred and/or training including academic experience with hands-on knowledge of basic cell and molecular biology assays and cell culture assays.
- Minimum of one year of experience with animal work involving rodents.
- Excellent oral and written skills are required.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures and information in scientific journals.
- Must be familiar with Windows, MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) and Internet research skills.
- Strong work ethic, organizational skills and ability to function in an interdisciplinary team setting.
- Attention to detail and accuracy a must.
- The applicant will be a self-starter who has the capacity to function independently while reporting to the primary investigator regularly.
Skill and Abilities
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Demonstrate the latitude for exercising independent judgment and discretion.
- No relocation assistance will be provided for this position.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, three (3) letters of recommendation and Hampton University application to the address below. Recommendation letters should be on official letterhead addressed to Dr. Meena Katdare, PhD, Professor and Research Core Director.
Email: email@example.com or send application via mail to the address below:Hampton University Skin of Color Research Institute27 East Tyler StreetP.O. Box 6035Hampton UniversityHampton, VA 23668 *Hampton University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer.