The Business Office at Hampton University is seeking a staff accountant to provide support to the Payroll Office in the day to day operations of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with salaried and bi-weekly payrolls.
- Process w-4 forms and any additional federal/state forms.
- Assist with yearly reports (IPED, Workman’s Compensation Report, and the year end salary accrual, 990 report, etc.).
- Responsible for reconciling various payroll accounts, i.e. garnishment, tax lien, student loans, child support.
- Reconcile insurance accounts and all other accounts as it relates to the employee’s deductions.
- Ensure all payments are processed to the designated payees.
- Process voucher for ACH payments.
- Prepare, process, and maintain all billing records.
- Assist in handling any payroll concerns.
- Perform a wide variety of record keeping, including computing wages and overtime payments, calculating and recording payroll deductions, process requests for paycheck advances.
- Check and verify student hours for work- study and regular student payroll.
- Input hours into the system for processing the work-study payroll.
- Process payroll verifications.
- Assist in posting transactions in subsidiary ledger.
- Analyze data in general ledger for reconciliations and complete journal entries when needed.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Additional duties as assigned by supervisor and upper management.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidate must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word, be able to work well with others in a fast- paced environment, possess excellent customer service and organizational skills and pay close attention to details.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business, and/or Finance with a minimum of one year experience in Accounts Receivable along with a knowledge of basic payroll functions.
How to Apply
Please submit a letter of interest, a resume, and a completed Application for Educational Support Staff Employment to the:
Office of Human Resources
Hampton, VA 23668
* No phone calls please
**Incomplete applications will not be considered