The secretary plays an important role by providing administrative support to the Office of External Relations and participating in all fundraising activities including donor and public relations, direct mail appeals, and special events.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Process donations and prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
- Maintain individual donor files.
- Create monthly fundraising reports and other database reports as needed.
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective individual donors.
- Coordinate productions and mailing of spring and year-end appeal letters.
- Prepare requisitions and maintains budget records.
- Send appropriate documentation to process credits to donors.
- Answer donor questions regarding campaign initiatives.
- Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials and other duties as assigned for fund-raising events.
- Handle all administrative details associated with the Vice President for External Relation’s meetings (i.e. prepare and distribute notices, agendas, minutes, etc.).
- Prepare media materials for distribution. (i.e. copying, filing, mailing, e-mailing)
- Assemble media and donor kits for events and meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President for External Relations.
- Associate's or bachelor's degree in a related field
- A minimum of three years' experience in an administrative position, preferably in a not-for-profit development office
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint Database management experience –
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
How to Apply
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and an Application for Educational Support Staff Employment to:
Office of Human Resources
Armstrong Building Room 110
Hampton, VA 23668
*No phone calls
**Incomplete application packets will not be considered