The University College at Hampton University is accepting nominations and applications for the full-time position of Director of Accelerated Evening Programs (AEP) beginning January 2014. Founded in 1868, Hampton University (www.hamptonu.edu) is located on 314 acres of the Virginia Peninsula. It is a privately endowed, co-educational, nonsectarian institution of higher education and all programs are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
The University College has broadened the scope of its services to support our diverse student population wherever, whenever, and however they choose. AEP courses address the community needs of the greater Hampton Roads region through a well-defined strategy for strengthening the job skills of individuals by identifying the needs of the local labor market and responding to those needs. The University College has carved out a niche for its continuing education programs (both through AEP and Hampton U Online) that is unrivaled in the Hampton Roads area. The predominant schedule is in five sessions during a calendar year starting in August in nine-week sessions. However, other terms are available for selected programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Accelerated Evening Programs reports directly to the Dean of University College and is responsible for the development, coordination, and management of a variety of certificate programs, in addition to associate’s, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees. The successful candidate will assist the Dean in providing leadership and strategic direction on all matters related to the development and administration of AEP. The Director will collaborate with the appropriate University administrators to develop faculty and student support services. Duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plan, develop, and administer continuing education programs throughout the Hampton University service area that reflect community interests, needs, and expectations.
- Identify and work with community leaders and advisors to assess programming needs and respond when appropriate.
- Ensure that appropriate quality curriculum is developed (or adopted) and implemented as per SACS regulations.
- Recruit, select, orient, supervise, and evaluate adjunct faculty and ensure that their credentials meet all necessary SACS criteria.
- Assist in the supervision of staff for University College.
- Assist in the development of tools for assessing students, faculty, and staff performance and implementing initiatives to improve performance.
- Develop and implement an annual marketing strategy for the production of class schedules, brochures, flyers, news releases, public service announcements and ads.
- Forge strong collaborative relationships with campus administrators in order to develop new initiatives for the Hampton U Online area
- Serve on various committees as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in related field, supplemented by a minimum of 5 to 7 years of administrative and supervisory experience in a college setting.
- Demonstration of a written record of leadership in an academic setting, which must include experience with long- range planning, budgeting, and personnel management.
- Previous experience in developing continuing education courses and special interest programs is preferred.
- Must be computer proficient with knowledge of a variety of software programs.
- Ability to work varied hours including some nights and weekends.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to meet deadlines.
The successful candidate must possess strong leadership skills and a commitment to the principles of lifelong learning and value team work. The ability to anticipate and resolve problems, exercise good judgment, and apply solutions effectively is critical to functioning in this position. This individual must also be able to coordinate multiple activities simultaneously and be able to prioritize tasks. Preference will be given to candidates who possess knowledge of the local Hampton Roads community and the ability to work within it in order to assess needs, plan accordingly, locate instructors, and market strategically.
How to Apply
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The compensation package will be commensurate with experience. Interested candidates should submit their curriculum vitae, statement of interest, personal contact information, and names of three letters of recommendation along with postal/email addresses and telephone numbers electronically to email@example.com or mail to:Dr. Jerrold W. RoyDean, University CollegeHampton UniversityP.O. Box 6162Hampton, VA 23668
**Hampton University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.