Meet the Class of 2012
Welcome back students for another exciting year at our "Home By the Sea!" Now that you have settled in and classes have begun, you've probably noticed all of the new, eager faces of the Class of 2012 around campus. But how well do you know these new members of Ogre Phi Ogre 14?
Most of the 1,200 new freshmen arriving here at HU were born in 1990, when songs like "The Power" by Snap!, "Escapade" by Janet Jackson, "Pray" by M.C. Hammer, and "Vision of Love" by Mariah Carey were topping the charts. That same year, Milli Vanilli earned the Best New Artist award at the Grammy's, only to be revoked later for lip-syncing. And their parents may recall seeing "Dances with Wolves" or "Ghost" in the theater that year too.
For the past 11 years, Beloit College in Beloit, Wis., had published a yearly "Mindset Lists" that describes the general mindset of the year's entering college freshmen class. Below is a sampling of the items describing the Class of 2012. The complete list can be found at http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2012.php.
1. Caller ID has always been available on phones.
2. "The Tonight Show" has always been hosted by Jay Leno and started at 11:35 EST.
3. GPS satellite navigation systems have always been available.
4. Coke and Pepsi have always used recycled plastic bottles.
5. They have always been looking for Carmen Sandiego.
6. Authorities have always been building a wall along the Mexican border.
7. They have never known life without "Seinfeld" references from a show about "nothing."
8. Windows 3.0 operating system made IBM PCs user-friendly the year they were born.
9. Clarence Thomas has always sat on the Supreme Court.
10. College grads have always been able to Teach for America.
11. McDonald's and Burger King have always used vegetable oil for cooking french fries.
12. WWW has never stood for World Wide Wrestling.
-Alison L. Phillips