Frequently Asked Questions
Will the Office of Sponsored Programs develop my budget and upload my proposal into Grants.gov? [Back to Top]
OSP will assist in reviewing your budget to ensure that it meets sponsor and university guidelines. Al PIs are responsible for uploading their respective data into Grants.gov, then providing the completed link to OSP for review and submission.
What are our indirect and fringe rates? [Back to Top]
|Facilities & Administrative Rates|
|Organized Research On-Campus||48%|
|Organized Research Off-Campus||26.0%|
What is the difference between a gift and a grant? [Back to Top]
Grants are typically more restrictive than gifts and usually require specified monitoring and accounting procedures, as well as other terms and conditions. Gift accounts are established when funds from outside sources are for unrestricted use and are free of the constraints or obligations.
Grants are awarded to the University by external sources in support of research, instruction, training, or services under an agreement that includes any one of the following:
- The award instrument is an agreement that binds the University to a set of terms and conditions and requires endorsement.
- The agreement obligates the investigator to a line of scholarly or scientific inquiry that typically follows a plan, provides for orderly testing or evaluation, or seeks to meet stated performance goals.
- The agreement establishes an understanding of how funds will be used or includes a line budget that identifies expenses by activity, function, or project period.
- The agreement requires fiscal accountability as evidenced by the submission of financial reports to the sponsor, an audit provision, or the return of unexpected funds at the conclusion of the project.
- The agreement creates an obligation to report projects results or dispose of tangible or intangible properties resulting from the project. Examples of tangible properties include equipment, records, technical reports, theses or dissertations. Intangible properties include rights in data, copyrights or inventions.
- The agreements seek considerations such as indemnifications or imposes other terms that require legal accountability.
What's the minimum amount of release time can I included in my budget? [Back to Top]
Hampton University’s policy is that a minimum of 25% release time should be budgeted. Exceptions must be approved by the Provost.
How do I obtain Banner access to my budget? [Back to Top]
To obtain access to Banner individuals must complete Banner training. To request training complete the Banner Training Request form. Upon successful completion of the training session, access to the accounts that you 'own' will be provided. If you experience problems or need additional assistance, please contact the Business Office.
I received an award notice for my grant. What should I do with it? [Back to Top]
Normally, award notices are sent directly from the funding source to the Office of Sponsored Programs. If you receive a notice, please forward it to OSP. This will allow proper record and establishment of the account.