Young Diplomats Program
A Week-Long Summer Residential Program (June 25 - July 1, 2017)
We bring the world to you!
Hampton University's Young Diplomats Summer Program provides a stimulating and enriching residential experience for high school (rising 9th -12th grade) students from around the country on the beautiful campus of Hampton University. We will study Chinese language and culture, leadership development, Chinese Diplomacy, economic development and Global Affairs. Participants will learn through global communication how the United States and China respond to humanitarian issues, thus, how societies help people. This experience will be enriched by a trip to Washington, D.C. to visit sites such as the Freer Sackler Gallery of the Smithsonian Museum and the U.S. China Foreign Policy Foundation.
We have lined-up a group of renowned political and community leaders to inspire the diplomats on ways to make a difference in their communities. The diplomats will learn Robert's Rules of Order, and the art of debate. As well, students will enjoy dining and social etiquette to effect change in both formal and informal settings. To enhance this experience, the diplomats will receive instruction in the waltz and salsa with an opportunity to display their creative movements at the closing luncheon. Students will also have an opportunity for relaxation and unwinding through recreational activity, students can choose their preference of Chinese art/papermaking, horseback riding, sailing, or, fitness, and martial arts. For questions or concerns please contact the Assessment Center at 757-727-5913.
How to Register Your Student for the Young Diplomats Program
- Step 1: Please complete the Online Registration Form electronically or you may send the printable version of the Registration Form (PDF) to mailing address: Hampton University, Assessment Center, Armstrong-Slater Bldg. 1st fl., Hampton VA 23668.
- Step 2: To pay the $650 early registration fee (before May 31st or $1,000 after) please continue to the next page of the online registration form and key in that amount into the "amount to pay" portion of the online payment form. Please include the additional cost of any extra polo shirts or larger sizes. You may also call the Cashier's Office at 757-727-5663 and pay the registration fee using your credit/debit card. Any fees paid to the program will not be refunded. The $650 early registration fee must be paid in full by May 31st if not the fee will change to $1,000.
- Step 3: Please refer to the immunization requirements before you complete and submit the Medical Application for Summer Program Participation (PDF) form to the Health Center via U.S. postage to mailing address: Hampton University Health Center, 55 East Tyler St., Hampton, VA 23668.
- Step 4: Complete and submit the Medical Consent Form (PDF) to the Assessment Center via U.S. postage to mailing address: Hampton University, Assessment Center, Armstrong-Slater Bldg. 1st fl., Hampton VA 23668 or you may scan and email it to email@example.com.
Deadline to submit registration materials above and payment for the program is June 5, 2017 by 5:00 PM EST
- Step 5: Take a look at the arrival packet to properly prepare your participant before they arrive on June 25th for Check-In Day. (Will be made available May 2017)