Apply for Aid — Virginia Grants and Scholarships
The Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG)
This grant is administered by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) and provides assistance to domiciled residents of Virginia attending certain colleges in the state, such as Hampton University, on a *full-time basis.
VTAG award projections will always be estimated awards until a final State budget is approved and passed. Please keep in mind that the VTAG is subject to change based on State budgetary needs.
2017-18 Award amount:
- $3,300 for eligible undergraduate students
- $1,650 for eligible graduate students
The general eligibility criteria include:
- Complete the 2017-18 VTAG Application (PDF) ▶
- Must be a Virginia domiciled resident
- Must not have moved to Virginia for the purposes of attending post-secondary school
- Awarded to qualifying eligible degree programs/majors only
- *Requires full-time enrollment (unless approved to receive the funds at less-than-full-time during the last semester of a degree program)
- Students who have received VTAG in the preceding academic year do not need to submit a new application. Only students who have not received VTAG at all, did not receive the preceding academic year, or moving from undergraduate to graduate should re-apply.
- Submit the VTAG application to our office on or before the
- Category 2 – July 31st, 2017 (receives priority over Categories 3 & 4)
- Category 3 – August 1st – September 14th, 2017
- Category 4 – by December 1st, 2017
- Other criteria apply, subject to change
- VTAG Fact Sheet (PDF) ▶
Students must submit their VTAG Application to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships by U.S. mail and by delivering to our office in person. No faxes will be accepted. We will use the date the VTAG application is received to determine the category, if received by December 1st, not the date the application was signed.
Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
100 E Queen & Tyler St
Hampton, VA 23668
Graduate Degree Programs and VTAG
Eligible graduate level programs for VTAG are limited to CIP code 51 programs, per SCHEV regulation. CIP 51 programs are related to health professions and consist of allied health, nursing, pharmacy, communicative sciences and disorders, physical therapy, medical science, and emergency medical systems management.