FAFSAs are selected for verification either by the U.S. Department of Education’s Central Processing System (CPS) or by the school.
The CPS selects applicants either randomly or by choosing applications that do not meet a series of federal edits. These edits are not published by the Department of Education to the public.
The law also permits the school to select applicants based on the above reasons, as well as, to verify accuracy of data or resolve conflicting data that it believes is incorrect or discrepant. As important, a school may request additional documentation if information does not match FAFSA.
Notification of Selection
The CPS notifies students selected for verification by printing an asterisk (*) next to the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on the SAR; also, the financial aid office will notify selectees via correspondence of specific items required in order to process a student’s financial aid eligibility. In addition, students are required to monitor their financial status via HUNET account, by using their password and student ID.
For your convenience, the site address is listed below:
Select Financial Aid > Eligibility > Student Requirements > Select Aid Year > Submit
Required forms are also accessible from our financial aid website at:
The student is given 14 days to respond to this request for information. Failure to respond within this time period could have an adverse effect (in some cases) depending on the student’s eligibility for certain types of financial aid awards.
What You Need to Know
In an effort to save you time with the processing of your verification documents, we like to recommend some important Tidbits:
- Respond timely to request for information;
- Make certain that documents and appropriate worksheets are properly signed;
- Electronic signatures authorizations for tax returns are not allowed;
- Read your SAR thoroughly;
- If you have filed for an extension with the IRS, you will need to provide us with a copy of Form 4506-T;
- If an extension is granted by the IRS, you will need to submit IRS Form 4868 or a copy of the IRS approval or extension beyond the automatic six-month extension;
- Copies of tax returns or alternative documentation must be submitted within the appropriate deadlines established by the Financial Aid Office;
- If documentation is not received, students are ineligible for Title-IV funds and are required to repay any disbursed aid; and
- In some cases, students could be selected for verification after awarding and disbursements. Should this occur, the student is responsible for any overpayment (for certain Title-IV programs) received as a result of verification.
Once we have received and reviewed for accuracy all the requested items for the verification process, the student will receive notification that his/her award package is available to view and/or accept online. This will include the types and amounts of aid offered and instructions for acceptance.
If a student has not received any correspondence from our office within 14 business days from the receipt date of all requirements satisfied (as displayed on HUNet), please do not hesitate to contact our office at 1-800-624-3341.
We strongly recommend that you do not attempt to change data on the FAFSA, while your documentation is under review, without first contacting our office.
Please direct all questions and inquiries to your assigned Financial Aid Advisor, as posted on the Financial Aid Office website.