Student Support Services Cultural Enrichment Activities
To meet our participants personal and social needs, Student Support Services organizes an array of cultural enrichment activities which enable students to express themselves, to network, and to build collegial relationships amongst their peers.
- The office conducted a Fall Social in October and the annual Holiday Cheer prior to the Winter break.
- In January, staff welcomed students back to campus during the Welcome Back Pizza Party.
- In March, the Advisory Board sponsored an Open Mic Night in which students exhibited their talents via musical performances, spoken word poetry, as well as prose recitations.
- In April, the office held its Annual Student Recognition Banquet to laud its Dean's List participants, to honor participants for various academic and community service initiatives, and to recognize faculty and staff members who it deemed as "Essential Pieces" to our students' successes.
- One of the students most enjoyable programs was the Movie and Mic Night, when Student Support Services staff escorted twenty-five program participants to CineBistro at the Peninsula Town Center to see the debut of 42: An American Legend. Held in conjunction with the City of Hampton's Citizens’ Unity Commission, students had an opportunity to engage in a dialogue with prominent members of the community and military representatives, to include some of the original Tuskeegee Airmen.
2013-14 Event Coordination
In early May 2013, the newly elected Advisory Board members held an initial planning meeting to develop a preliminary schedule of events for the 2013-14 academic year. If you would like to help this exceptional group of student leaders plan this year's events, please contact Mrs. Jelisa Sinn-Braswell for a list of Triple "S" Club meeting dates. She and the Advisory Board welcome your active participation and feedback.
Student Suppport Services
P.O Box 6212
Hampton, VA 23668
Fax: (757) 728-6614
Phone: (757) 727-5611
Mikael Davis, Director
Kristie Cansler, Tutor Coordinator
Sylvia Jackson, Admin. Assistant
Jelisa Sinn-Braswell, Counselor