Student Support Services - Peer Mentor Program
Peer Mentor Program
The Student Support Services Peer Mentor Program was re-established in 2011-12 to assist new SSS participants with the transition from high school to college or from a transfer institution to Hampton University.
How the Program Works
- Continuing, upper-class SSS students are carefully selected and trained to serve as positive role models for new program participants.
- Peer Mentors meet with their assigned mentees once per week during the first semester and once per month during the second semester.
- In addition to encouraging participation in SSS activities, Peer Mentors facilitate new students' transition to college life by familiarizing them with the University and assisting their integration into the immediate surrounding community.
- As a result, outings may entail academic or social events, as well as community service initiatives.
- In 2012-13, 15 Peer Mentors served 29 students who had an average cumulative GPA of 3.04, compared to all freshmen and sophomores in the program who had an average cumulative GPA of 2.89.
If you are interested in utilizing this program or in serving as a Peer Mentor, please contact Ms. Asia Randolph at email@example.com.
Student Suppport Services
P.O Box 6212
Hampton, VA 23668
Fax: (757) 728-6614
Phone: (757) 727-5611
Mikael Davis, Director
Asia Randolph, Counselor
Sylvia Jackson, Admin. Assistant